Saturday, December 22, 2012

searching for peace.

It didn't take me long to learn there is no easy way to break the news of cancer. I tried rehearsing different approaches, but it always ended up the same: "I have cancer."
This last week I've been taking comfort in every single phone call, text, email, and encouraging note.
Family members, close friends, and mere acquaintances all shared one reaction: shock.
No matter how hard they tried to hide it, I always saw a look of horror flash across their faces or could sense it on the phone; sniffles following silence.

This week I've been searching for peace. Peace to comfort my agonizing stomach as it aches at night, peace to comfort my thoughts as I think "what if I don't make it?" Peace to help me understand, why me? 

Well, it's Saturday and I still haven't figured that out. But...we did recieve some great news yesterday from my doctor... although the cancer did spread to my lymph nodes, all other tests were clear of cancer! Which means, it hasn't spread into my blood stream or bones anywhere else in my body.
The blood test that shows if I have the BRCA gene was negative! Which means, god-willing I can add a sibling for Olivia someday. And one more thing, the type of cancer I have is ER Positive/HER2 Negative which, I have no idea what exactly that means but from the reaction of my doctor is excellent news! Before she hung up the phone she said to me, "I hope you have a merry Christmas and remember, Lindsey, God is good. He is good!"

Once again God has proved His faithfulness and answered our prayers ... I think I just found my peace!






   

2 comments:

  1. you are on my heart daily and in my prayers constantly! thanks so much for keeping us posted...it's SO helpful to have specific prayer direction. love you linds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband saw ur story on the TX Bowhunter site. I just wanted to tell u that u will survive & u will be fine! I was diagnosed w stage 3B breast cancer when I was 28. They told me I had @ 2 years. That was Dec. 12, 2002. Sorry to disappoint them but I'm still here! LOL! Anyway, if ur cancer is ER+ that means the cancer feeds off estrogen. That is good because they know what feeds it. Cut off the food...it can't grow. Her2 is a gene that the cancer may or may not have. U don't have the gene the cancer does. It makes the cancer "smart". HER2 cancer can figure out ways around the treatment. It is more aggressive, has a higher rate of recurrence, & @ 24% of breast cancers are Her2. My cancer was very aggressive & Her2 +. I was also ER+ & PR+. PR=Progesterone. There is a group that helped me a lot. it's the Young Survival Coalition. They are great! Also, if u ever need anyone to talk to who has been there or if u have ?'s feel free to contact me stefanie@silverlabranch.com It really helped me when I found someone who was going through the same thing. I'm not going to sugar coat it....It's going to suck so hard! There will be days that u want to just give up. DON'T!!!!! I almost did & it would have been the worst mistake of what would have been a short life. U GOT THIS!!! FIGHT! IF NOT FOR U FOR UR HUSBAND & BABIES!!!

    ReplyDelete